Intern, Domus Summer Program at the Bridgeport Detention Center
Dates: July 2, 2019 – August 19, 2019
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Domus is a nonprofit social services organization that oversees schools in Connecticut designed to work with each community’s most academically and socially struggling students. Our mission is to successfully transition our students to the next stage of their education.
Domus is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for the position. Domus does not discriminate against applicants based on race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, gender identity or expression, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, or disability or veteran status. Spanish speaking people and people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit us online at www.domuskids.org.
About the position
Domus has been selected to operate a six-week summer enrichment program at the Bridgeport Detention Center from July 5, 2019, through August 9, 2019, with training days on July 2nd and 3rd. The program will operate five days per week for six hours each day and will serve approximately 50 young people aged 12 to 17. The program will provide an age-appropriate, gender- and trauma-sensitive curriculum with an intensive focus on remediation in mathematics, reading, and writing.
Domus is seeking highly motivated applicants interested in working with high school students, individually or in small groups, to improve their educational, social and emotional skills. Interns will receive training in behavior management and will work under the direction of a site coordinator and certified teachers. This is an excellent opportunity to explore potential interest in the education, social work or public interest fields. The program will take place at the Bridgeport Detention Center with occasional meetings taking place at the Domus office in Stamford, CT. Interns are expected to be present each day for the duration of the program.
- Support classroom instruction as directed by the site coordinator and teachers.
- Instruct students individually or in small groups.
- Use trauma-informed methodologies to manage any student behavior issues.
- Follow the security and safety protocols of the Bridgeport Detention Center.
- Support the site coordinator and teachers administratively.
- Other duties as required.
- High school diploma
- Superior math, writing, or reading skills
- Strong interest in helping students achieve academic success
- Ability to build relationships with and motivate students who have not succeeded in traditional school environments
- Commitment to the mission and core principles of Domus including the Sanctuary Model of trauma-informed care
- Bachelor’s degree and/or in pursuit of
- Fluent in Spanish Experience working with adolescents who struggle academically and emotionally
- Experience working with adolescents who struggle academically and emotionally
- Familiarity with the Sanctuary model of trauma-informed care and Cornell University’s Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI)
Compensation, Hiring Process and Timeline
This is a temporary, non-exempt position. Interns will earn $15/hour for all hours of instruction, training, and meetings. This position is not eligible for benefits.
· We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. That being said, we will review all applications received beginning May 15th, 2019.
· To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com addressing what it is about this program that speaks to you and why you would be a good fit.