After-School Counselor (part-time), Stamford CT
Location: Stamford CT
Domus is a nonprofit social services organization that operates community, residential, and educational programs. Domus runs a group of out-of-school-time programs in Stamford, CT, designed to work with high-risk young people in the community so they have a safe place to learn new skills, enhance their academic experience, and socialize with one another. These programs include two middle schools after-school programs, a program for high school students that supports them in applying to colleges, summer camp programs, an employment readiness program, and a diversionary program for first-time offenders.
About the program:
The Lion’s Den Out-of-School-Time Program provides recreational and academic enrichment programming for over 100 middle school children attending Trailblazers Academy Alternative Charter School on Stamford’s East Side. The program also offers a five-week summer camp.
About the position:
Youth leaders/counselors are responsible for providing a safe, positive, and supportive environment for our after-school participants and summer campers. This includes promoting the objectives and philosophy of Domus while enhancing student growth and self-worth. We expect all employees to be committed to the values of the Sanctuary Model and dedicate themselves to building a trauma-informed culture. You will be challenged to demonstrate how you exemplify the seven Sanctuary commitments (non-violence, democracy, emotional intelligence, social learning, shared governance, open communication, social responsibility, and growth and change) in your role as a professional here at Domus.
• Works under the direct supervision of the program director
• Provides direct supervision and instruction to participants
• Assists in developing positive self-esteem
• Works with certified teachers to stop summer slide (loss of academic skills during the summer months)
• Ensures compliance with all directives from the director and complies with all State mandates for the care and safety of children
• Ensures participants are informed of the rules of the program and are in compliance, thereby promoting order and safety
• Maintains participant confidentiality according to State law and organizational policy
• Utilizes appropriate and approved disciplinary interventions as may be necessary to promote or maintain order
• Actively participates and engages in supervision meetings with supervisor, providing two-way communication and feedback on performance
• Performs any other duty as assigned by the director
Required core competencies include:
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and effectively
• The ability to project a warm and welcoming attitude toward participants, families, visitors, and peers
• Capacity to take direction, work independently, and be a team player
• Flexibility to adapt to emerging needs and changing priorities
• Must be able and willing to work with a behaviorally difficult youth population in a positive and calm manner
• Absolute commitment to the mission and core principles of Domus, including the Sanctuary Model of trauma-informed care
• Exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, and planning skills
• Ability to successfully handle multiple projects at once
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative
• Emotional maturity and strong work ethic
• Ability to learn quickly and to be effective in a fast-paced environment
• An understanding of the community and home conditions our participants experience
Required educational background, work experience, and other factors:
• Current high school student, college experience preferred
• Prior to start of employment; a complete and current State of CT –Adult Medical Statement for Child Day Care health physical must be provided in order to work
• Proficient computer skills preferred, including MS Word and Excel
• Must submit to and pass both law enforcement and CT Department of Children and Families background checks
Compensation: This part-time, seasonal position is not eligible for benefits. There is a ninety- (90) day probationary period. Domus provides a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed.
Join a team of like-minded professionals who work to ensure the community’s most struggling students get the world-class education and social support they need to thrive at the next level.
To apply: Please email your resume to Glen Allen. EOE.